Almost every patient wishes for their meds to be effective. Some medications perform better if taken at specific times. The pharmacist is obliged to go over crucial information on how to take your medicine with you when you acquire a new prescription. He or she may discuss when you should take your medication. Some medications are most effective when taken with food or a full glass of water. Time is also key when it comes to taking your regular medications.
In certain cases, it may be necessary to take a medicine at a specific time of day, according to research. This practice, known as chronotherapy, is gaining popularity since research reveals that when we take medications influences how effectively they function.
The ideal time to take a medicine varies depending on the substance. If your doctor instructs you to take your dose at the same time every day, you should do so.
What precisely is citalopram?
Citalopram, often known as Celexa, is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor used to treat depression. Citalopram is licensed by the FDA to treat depression in adults, but it is also used to treat alcohol use disorder, coronary arteriosclerosis, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, postmenopausal flushes, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder off-label.
The way things operate
Citalopram, as previously stated, is an antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). A “class” is a set of medications that function in the same manner. These medications are often used to treat the same kind of health issues. SSRIs increase the quantity of a substance in your brain called serotonin. Depression may be alleviated by increasing serotonin levels in the brain.
Several studies have demonstrated that citalopram is effective. People with depression who took citalopram improved their symptoms in 4- to 6-week trials. A dummy treatment (one with no active medication) was utilized as a comparison group.
The researchers next examined the persons whose depression symptoms improved after taking citalopram to see how the medicine functioned in the long run. These folks were paired with those who took bogus medication. People who took citalopram were less likely to relapse into depression than those who did not.
How should I take citalopram?
Citalopram is available as a tablet and a liquid that is consumed orally. The majority of individuals take it once a day, in the morning or at night, with or without meals. Take citalopram at the same time every day.
Most patients begin with 20 mg orally once a day. The maximum you should take is 40 mg by mouth once a day.
Follow the instructions on your drug packaging carefully, and if you have any questions, contact your doctor or pharmacist. Follow the guidelines for taking citalopram and avoid alcohol. Do not take more or less of it, or take it more or less often than your doctor recommends.
Your doctor may begin with a modest dose of citalopram and gradually raise it, but no more than once a week.
Citalopram’s full impact may not be felt for 1 to 4 weeks. Even if you feel well, you should continue to take citalopram. Do not discontinue citalopram without first consulting your doctor. Your doctor will most likely gradually reduce your dosage. If you suddenly stop taking citalopram, you may experience mood changes, irritability, agitation, dizziness, numbness, tingling, or electric shock-like feelings in your hands or feet, anxiety, confusion, headache, tiredness, nausea, sweating, shaking, a frenzied or overly excited mood, and difficulty falling or staying asleep. Inform your doctor if you have any of these symptoms when reducing your citalopram dosage or shortly after stopping it.
5 Advantages of Taking Citalopram Before Bed
It is preferable to take citalopram at night rather than during the day since some of its negative effects might make it difficult to do routine tasks. There are several advantages to taking citalopram at night, including:
- If you suffer from insomnia, a common sleep disorder that makes it difficult to fall asleep, the ideal time to take citalopram is at night since it will help you sleep better and protect you from being too dizzy or tired.
- Being tired throughout the day may make it difficult to focus, irritated, force you to take needless risks, reduce the quality of your job, or even cause you to fall asleep behind the wheel. Citalopram users often experience fatigue, particularly in the initial few weeks of medication. Taking the medication at night will reduce the severity of some common adverse effects throughout the day.
- If you take citalopram throughout the day, it might be difficult or practically impossible to operate even the most basic equipment or tools securely. Some individuals find it difficult to concentrate when taking citalopram. It may be advised to avoid driving and riding during the first few days of therapy until you have a better understanding of how this medication affects you. Driving an automobile if you are unable to do so safely is unlawful.
- Having sex late at night may be incredibly calming and bring couples closer together. Hormones and neuropeptides produced during sexual activity, according to research, may aid boost your happiness and health. This might assist you in unwinding and relaxing at the conclusion of a long day. Peak blood levels of citalopram occur between 1 and 6 hours, with 4 hours being the most common. Men who take citalopram throughout the day experience delayed ejaculation and a decreased desire to have sex. If you take the medication at night, you will be sleeping when the full effect of the medication takes effect.
- Citalopram often causes individuals to feel fatigued and drowsy, which may lead to falls and other errors at home. According to Johns Hopkins specialists, those who are dizzy are up to 12 times more likely to suffer a severe fall. This implies that 69 million men and women over the age of 40 are in danger, accounting for one-third of all American adults. If you take citalopram in the morning, the advantages and adverse effects of the medication will be at their peak in the afternoon. This increases your chances of having an accident throughout the day.
Frequently Asked Question
Is it better to take citalopram at night?
It can be taken at any time of day, but it is best to take it every day at the same time. You can take it with or without food. If you have trouble sleeping, take it right when you wake up.
Why is citalopram given in the evening?
Drowsiness. Unlike some SSRIs, many other antidepressants make you sleepy, so it’s better to take them at night.
How long does it take for citalopram to leave your body?
When compared to other pharmaceutical drugs, the half-life of Citalopram (Celexa) is about 35 hours, which isn’t very long. This means that it takes most people 35 hours after the first dose for 50% of the drug to leave their bodies, provided they don’t take any more doses during this time.